Monday, April 4, 2011

Decay

I was snacking on some toffee covered nuts and suddenly crunched down and then realized I had damaged my tooth.  I chipped just the slightest bit off the tip of my eye tooth.  No one else would probably notice this damage, but it's really bothered me.  I have excellent teeth and have never had a cavity.  I'm used to having the hygienists and dentists comment on my "beautiful teeth."  Now I have a blemish and my teeth are flawed.

I guess what's really bothered me is that this minor incident has made me feel quite old.  I feel like the decline into old age has started.  I rolled right into age 30 without any hesitation.  It seemed to slip right by and it was a happy time as I was expecting little Abby.  But now this.  And this small chip is but a precursor of the decay that will affect every part of my body.

Charles H. Spurgeon is one of my favorite writers.  He has some insightful words about facing decay and inevitably death:  Life is but death's vestibule and our pilgrimage on earth is but a journey to the grave... There is a land where death knells are never tolled, where winding sheet are never woven, where graves are never dug. Blest land beyond the skies! To reach it we must die. 

I'll continue to hide those pesky gray hairs and apply cream to fight the crow's feet, but I'll never be able to prevent my body from decaying.  But I guess it's not a big deal.  I'll trade this model in for an upgraded version soon enough. 

(Photo courtesy of istockphoto.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...